Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Anybody up for some Provia Super-8?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member blackangus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 31st, 2002
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi all,

    You may remember once upon a time we made some Fuji Velvia super8 cartridges. Would anyone care to get a never-before-offered cartridge of Super8 film in Fuji Provia reversal?

    Provia is a relatively fast (100ASA) daylight-balanced stock with supposedly micro-super-fine grain. Here's a quote from Fuji's website about Provia: "A new generation of daylight-type color reversal film offering the finest grain of any color reversal emulsion now available".

    That sounds mighty interesting for Super8 use. Another mighty interesting quote on their site: "Remarkably consistent color and tone at pushes of up to +2 stops". That means they're saying it should remain usable if it's rated at ASA 400!

    Here's the link to Provia on Fuji's site:
    http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...roduct=2302805

    Anyway, I'm thinking of turning a 100' roll of Provia into S8 cartridges. I've got a new Zeiss camera I want to test, and I think I want to test it on Provia (especially because the lens only opens up to 2.8). So I'd like one cartridge, maybe 2, but I don't need all six. Pro8mm will make six cartridges for us and the cost will be $31 each (plus $4 shipping), which includes processing -- that price is even less than they charge for negative stock! And if you have it processed as reversal, it's ready for projection, no transfer to video necessary... sort of like a super-fast K40. Or, you can have it cross-processed as negative at no additional cost, which (when transferred by telecine or Roger's WorkPrinter/CineMate/DV8) will provide some extremely high-contrast, weird-color wonderful effects, as commonly used in TV commercials.

    If I end up only selling four of them, I'll have one done as reversal and one cross-processed, and offer them to Roger so he can post the results on his site for those interested.

    So, let me know if you want anywhere from one to five cartridges, and we'll get the ball rolling!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Brian Maier's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2001
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Would the cartridges be notched for cameras that don't have manual asa settings?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Who will process it--Pro8 or someone else??? If they(Pro8) send out to be processed who will they send it to???

    I am interested but need more info.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Inactive Member blackangus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 31st, 2002
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Brian -- the cartridges are supposed to be notched, but keep in mind that some cameras only recognize a few notches (like either 40 or 160). For ASA 100, you might want to go with an external lightmeter.

    Nigel -- processing would be by Pro8mm. They would provide processing included free of charge, either as a reversal or cross-processed as a negative.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am interested. 31 dollars and how much for shipping per roll??

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Inactive Member blackangus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 31st, 2002
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It'd be $31 per cartridge, plus $4 shipping in the USA via Priority Mail. That $4 would cover up to about 4 cartridges, so one cart would be $35, two would be $66, three would be $97, four would be $128.

    For those outside the USA, I would guess we would use global priority mail, so the cost would be a bit more (probably $7 for most destinations).

  7. #7
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Barry,
    put me down for one -- I still haven't used the Velvia but I'm always down for something new!
    -CHAS

  8. #8
    TA152
    Guest TA152's Avatar

    Post

    Brian, I am eveluating the 1014 notching range and I think the 1014 is notched for 125 ASA as the closest.

    However if you use the exosure compensing dial at you cam you can step it down by 1/3 stop which should fit fine.

    You can check out the details for your self here:

    http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lave...mcartspec.html
    http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lave...8notching.html

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 10, 2002 01:08 AM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    may i suggest the provia 400 instead? you don't need 100 asa in daylight, and with a blue filter on the lens or on your tungsten lights, the film won't be any faster than k40 anyway. the 400 becomes a 100 in tungsten light, which would be great, or you could probably get away with just a half blue (since fuji stocks are usually great in mixed light) and have a 200 asa film...

    /matt

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Brian Maier's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2001
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    wouldn't this be the closest setting
    ASA 160 19/32" (15mm) Yes ELA 464/594(rated ASA 100 Daylight)(rated ASA 160 Tungsten w/o filter)

    wouldn't the 160 asa notching in daylight be a 100 or am i reading it wrong?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •